Posts for tag: sleep problems
If you're having trouble sleeping, you may be surprised to learn that you're not alone. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 50-70 million American adults have sleep troubles for various reasons and the CDC has even labeled this a “public health problem.” Explore the various reasons why you may find it hard to fall asleep and how it can be resolved with the help of sleep medicine from the doctors at Pacific Sleep Program in Portland and Astoria, OR.
Are You Finding It Difficult to Sleep?
Some people sit up all night unable to nod off at all while others are completely unaware that they're not getting proper sleep. Here are a few signs that you're experiencing a sleep problem:
- You’re tired when you wake up, even after a long stretch of sleeping
- You’re unable to concentrate on your work or school assignments during the day
- You frequently nod off during waking hours
- Loud persistent snoring
Common Sleep Problems and Causes
You need sleep to function normally throughout your day. Many sleep-deprived patients would experience a significant increase in productivity if they addressed the core of the problem. If you are diagnosed with a sleep problem, these are some of the most common causes:
- Sleep apnea (an obstruction of the air passageways when sleeping that causes snoring)
- Narcolepsy (a neurological problem)
- Restless legs syndrome (tingling or itching in the legs that makes it hard to stay still in bed)
- UARS (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome)
- Too much stress and worrying
- Lifestyle and diet (eating too late at night or consuming too much caffeine)
Revolutionary treatments are available at Pacific Sleep Program in Portland and Astoria that can help you get the sleep your body needs every night. Here are a few solutions to explore with your doctor:
- Sleep position therapy
- Nasal devices or surgeries
- Dental devices for sleep apnea
- Medication to help you get proper rest at night
Explore Sleep Solutions
If you are having a problem getting a good night’s rest, find out more about sleep medicine at Pacific Sleep Program in Portland and Astoria, OR. Call (503) 325-3126 today to schedule an appointment at the Astoria office or (503) 228-4414 for the Portland office.